An electric archtop has a distinct sound. It is clear and true in tone, and you can play a variety of musical styles on this versatile instrument. So when you are in the market for a customized electric archtop, you are already aware of the type of tone and sound the guitar will have after it’s been built. But what are some other aspects you should think about when you are designing the perfect electric archtop?
When you work with a professional luthier, he can guide you through the guitar customization process. He should be able to answer your questions and assist you in making the best decisions for yourself and the type of electric archtop you want. In the meantime, here are a few things to think about.
- How big do you want your electric archtop guitar to be? There are a few factors that go into making this decision, like your playing style and a few others. You will probably speak to your luthier at length about your playing style so he can get an idea of what size electric archtop you will need.
- What type of pickup do you want? There are two types: floating and mounted. Much of the answer to this question will depend on the type of acoustics you are trying to achieve.
- What scale length do you want? When you started to plan your electric archtop, you probably already considered this. For example, musicians with smaller hands might want a smaller scale length.
- What kind of finish do you want on your electric archtop? There are also several factors that go into making this decision: what purpose the guitar will serve, how you will store it and how you handle it. This is also a question that the luthier can help you answer. He can advise you on the best finish for your electric archtop depending on the variables mentioned above.
- What will you use your electric archtop for? Are you a professional musician with frequent gigs, or are you someone who prefers to play alone or with smaller audiences?
Taking the time to make a few decisions now can save you some time during the electric archtop building process.
If you would like more information on a custom electric archtop guitar, call Fine Archtops at 612-366-7120 to get connected to professional luthiers. Or you can Contact Us.